Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Steel Cut Organic Oatmeal anyone?

Steel cut organic oats from Whole Foods

Want a nutritious, filling, quick,  inexpensive, tasty and simple breakfast?  Yes?

Here's one of my favorite secrets.
 
....buy steel cut organic oats by the 30 lb bag from Whole Foods & use a slow cooker to prepare a weeks worth of oatmeal....

I love my morning oatmeal.   Thick, loaded with lots of cinnamon, a tbs of crunchy peanut butter, and fresh fruit.   Banana is my go to fruit but I'll use any fresh fruit that's available. Well maybe no coconut or pineapple.  (hmmmm, now that I said that I'm curious to know how they'd actually taste)


OK.  I promised a lot in the first sentence.  It's time to deliver:


  • Nutritious - high fiber, complex carbohydrate, not 'processed'
  • Filing - trust me on this one.  I'm struggling to finish my bowl right now
  • Quick - I prepare 4 cups of oats with 9 cups of water in my slow cooker (over night on low).   Flake oats from the store don't keep.   STEEL CUT oats do keep in the fridge!  I just pop a bowl in the microwave and am ready to go.
  • Inexpensive  - buying in bulk reduces your cost (of course).  having a friend that works there makes it even better  :)   I suggest you buy a 3 or 5 gallon food grade storage bucket for your oats.  They last, and last, and last......
  • Tasty -  steel cut oats have a slight crunchy nutty flavor, even after reheating.   oatmeal flakes - forget it.  Once you go steel cut you wont go back - I promise.
  • Simple  - once heated I stir in a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter and top with some sliced fruit and cinnamon.  takes less than a minute.

So, a 30lb bag you say?   Maybe AFTER you try it a few times.   In the meantime you can get some good oats from McCann's.   You'll appreciate the dramatic drop in price when you buy in bulk compared to the McCann's can.


***********


Some live to eat, others eat to live. I live to annoy them.  

1 comment:

  1. just finished the last of what you gave us. I never tried the slow cooker method, but i would probably eat a lot more of it if I did.

    ReplyDelete