Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

What is "Italian seasoning" anyway?


Have you ever looked at the ingredients in your favorite spice blend?  You've never been that bored?  Welcome to my world.

I read my Italian seasoning label and guess what?  It's marjoram, oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage & basil.  The list varies slightly by brand.  Why?  No idea.   There's nothing magically 'Italian' about that processed, flaked, salted, preservative filled  bottle of dried leaves and powder.


Armed with my new found knowledge I set off on a quest to make my own Italian seasoning.   No salt, preservatives, and whatever the heck the additive they use so the seasoning will come out of the little holes.   I kid you not - one of my blend bottles had this mysterious unidentified ingredient.  Could be powdered WD40 for all I know.  Anyway, after a quick trip to my local Penzeys store  I was ready. 

When I cook I just toss in each spice and 'oila  I R cooking Italian.(well, sort of maybe).   OK, so maybe it doesn't make my dishes real Italian but my home made spice blend does make a HUGE difference in the taste compared to the store mix.


 I use home made 'Italian' mixture on everything right now but it's getting boring.     

bored with my seasoning
Anyone have suggestions which spice(s) I should try next?  What do you like? 

**********
Once again I feel more like I did yesterday than I do now.

1 comment:

  1. I've started making my own taco seasoning and plan on making my own Greek seasoning too, just as soon as I know what I want to cook with it. (got the recipes for the blends from All Recipes)

    ReplyDelete